John Hattie’s groundbreaking book Visible Learning synthesized the results of more than 15 years research involving millions of students and represented the biggest-ever collection of evidence-based research into what actually works in schools to improve learning. Visible Learning for Teachers takes the next step and brings those groundbreaking concepts to a completely new audience written for students, pre-service, and in-service teachers, it explains how to apply the principles from visible learning to any classroom anywhere in the world. This book:
- Champions both teacher and student perspectives and contains step by step guidance including lesson preparation, interpreting learning and feedback during the lesson and post lesson follow-up;
- Comprehensively covers numerous areas of learning activity including pupil motivation, curriculum, metacognitive strategies, Behavior, teaching strategies and classroom management”. (Back Cover blurb, 2012)
Live online Zoom sessions will be held eight times in October and November, on Mondays from 11:00 to 12:30 GMT. Recordings will be available.Live sessions (registered participants only)
- October 4th – course participants only (90 minutes)
- October 11th – course participants only (90 minutes)
- October 18th – course participants only (90 minutes)
- October 25th – course participants only (90 minutes)
- November 1st – course participants only (90 minutes)
- November 8th – course participants only (90 minutes)
- November 15th – course participants only (90 minutes)
- November 22nd – course participants only (90 minutes)
Cost: $300 USD (We can provide receipts for research funds, if needed.) Required book: In the course we will explore Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning (John Hattie, 2012). Teachers will be expected to have a copy of the book used in the course. Registration includes the eight live sessions and unlimited discussions each week in a private forum. Upon successful completion of the course participants will receive a certificate verifying that they are an "iTDi Great Minds Educator".This 8-week online iTDi Great Minds in Language Education course will bring up to 20 teachers together in our user-friendly iTDi online classroom every Sunday, and then continue throughout the week – sharing, discussing and reflecting in a private, but vibrant, online community. As a registered participant, don’t worry if you have to miss a live class or if the time for the live sessions doesn't work well for your time zone. You’ll receive weekly recordings of each class, full transcripts of the text chat during class, assigned readings and a PDF of the PowerPoint slides. Furthermore, the online community will certainly become a wealth of ideas and information, and will remain private and online for your use anytime in the future.
ScholarshipsAs always, iTDi believes that all teachers deserve the same opportunity to improve themselves. Therefore, a limited number of scholarships will be available for this course. Please apply through our scholarship application.
Steven Herder:Steven has been an EFL professional for over 30 years, teaching from elementary school to the university level, and is now Associate Professor at Kyoto Notre Dame University in Japan. He leads students in the Global English Course, as well as in his 3rd/4th-year Women in Leadership seminar. He is also an author and editor of two Palgrave Macmillan teacher resources, Innovating EFL Teaching in Asia (2012) and Exploring EFL Fluency in Asia (2014). Since 2010, he has been working with Suken Publishing on the high school textbook series Big Dipper Series I, II, III, DUALSCOPE II, as well as writing teacher manuals, drill textbooks, and graded readers. In 2012, he co-founded the International Teacher Development Institute (https://itdi.pro/), an online teacher training community for teachers by teachers, with over 5000 members and a global reach into over 100 countries. Steven believes, "being a teacher means a never-ending commitment to learning".
- GMILE Visible Learning Week 1 00:00:00
- GMILE Visible Learning Week 2 00:00:00
- GMILE Visible Learning Week 3 00:00:00
- GMILE Visible Learning Week 4 00:00:00
- GMILE Visible Learning Week 5 00:00:00
- GMILE Visible Learning Week 6 00:00:00
- GMILE Visible Learning Week 7 00:00:00
- GMILE Visible Learning Week 8 00:00:00