Dogme language teaching is both a methodology and a mindset. It is an approach to teaching that is conversation-driven and focuses on emergent language and student needs over materials. Learning how to make interaction with learners the foundation of your teaching can also help teachers use coursebooks more effectively, create grammar lessons that stick, build literacy, and encourage participation in online lessons. Do you want to... ...make your online lessons more satisfying (for both you and your students)? ...learn how to use your coursebook in ways that better meet your students' needs? ...know how to build a lesson around emergent language? If you answered yes to these questions, then this course is for you! And if you are working with limited resources or technology, you'll find this course even more relevant.
‘Dogme language teaching is considered to be both a methodology and a movement’ (Wikipedia). Alternatively, according to Keith Johnson (An Introduction to Foreign Language Learning and Teaching, 2008) it ‘is not an approach, but a mindset’. Johnson also describes its co-founder, Scott Thornbury, as ‘a main mover and shaker in foreign language teaching’. This course is for teachers who want to learn more about this method, movement or mindset, from the mover and shaker who first conceived it.In line with the philosophy of Dogme ELT, the specific content of this course will adapt to meet the needs of the teachers who enrol. For more information about course content, scroll down to the Course Curriculum About Dogme ELT, or click here. Live online Zoom sessions will be held four times in September, on Sundays at 12:00 GMT. Live sessions (registered participants only)
- September 6th – course participants only (60 minutes)
- September 13th – course participants only (60 minutes)
- September 20th – course participants only (60 minutes)
- September 27th – course participants only (60 minutes)
Due to the hands-on workshop nature of this course, we will only offer two levels of certification.This 4-week online iTDi Advanced Skills course will bring up to 30 teachers together in our user-friendly iTDi online classroom every Sunday, and then continue throughout the week – sharing, discussing and reflecting in a private, but vibrant, online community. As a registered participant, don’t worry if you have to miss a live class or if the time for the live sessions doesn't work well for your time zone. You’ll receive weekly recordings of each class, full transcripts of the text chat during class, assigned readings and a PDF of the PowerPoint slides. Furthermore, the online community will certainly become a wealth of ideas and information, and will remain private and online for your use anytime in the future.
- Certificate of Distinction US $149 – The Certificate of Distinction is for teachers who would like to have a one-on-one tutorial with Scott during or after the course. You may want to discuss Dogme within your own teaching context, implications of a Dogme-related syllabus/curriculum, or some other topic related to Dogme teaching (SOLD OUT).
- Certificate of Accomplishment US $99 – If you want to gain an understanding of the history and principles of Dogme ELT, and also learn how to use Dogme principles to teach conversation and literacy (with and without technology), please register for the Certificate of Accomplishment.